Monday, April 16, 2012

Email: April 9th


Dear family and friends,

Happy easter?! We havent celebrated it yet here in Bulgaria. We celebrate it a week after everyone else in the world celebrates it. Weird eh? So ya.. havent done easter yet but I dont think we'll be doing much. Sister Meyers and I will be packing sunday night to leave for Sofia monday morning to get our greenies next week! Its been fun to chill with Sister Meyers. She killed my best friend Sister Loss in the mission and its been fun to exchange stories of our beloved friend Sister Loss. I miss that girl a lot.

General conference has begun here in Bulgaria. I watched the first saturday session yesterday in church and got tired of trying to really focus on what was being said so I decided to have a little personal study with my scriptures. Ive been learning a lot about weaknesses that prophets have. For example, Moses, Enoch and Moroni all had weaknesses that they talk about. Moses struggled with his speech and would stutter a lot - therefore he was given Aaron to help him. Enoch, too, struggled with his speech but was called of God to prophesy and teach people. Moroni writes in Ether 12 about how he is strong in speech but struggles writing what the Lord wants him to write in the scriptures. He talks about how the gentiles, us, will mock his writing but he writes anyway. I LOVE THAT. People are called in their weakness - they really are. God doesnt expect us to be PERFECT over night. Perfection is a journey and as Henry B. Eyring has said, "Men are that they might have joy... not guilt trips." I think sometimes we beat ourselves up so much and think we need to be better than "The Jones" or whoever... and we forget that.. the church isnt a place for perfect people...its a hospital for people who struggle in life. And guess what? WE ALL STRUGGLE. But its ok...so do the prophets. I love it.

Sister Meyers and I met with our investigators Peter and Daniella this week. Peter has a baptismal date!!! We started the plan of salvation and as I was testifying about the atonement, Sister Meyers felt it was a good time to commit him to baptism and low and behold - he agreed! Its exciting!

We taught the whole restoration lesson to Daniella and her son Boris. We watched the 20 minute video of the restoration and the spirit was really there. Daniella was crying a lot but I dont think it was good crying. After thinking about it, Sister Meyers and I both agreed that Daniella knows that the gospel is what she needs but she doesnt want to act upon it and change. She felt the spirit but we think it scared her and she didnt know how to handle it. We tried comforting her and setting up another appointment but shes busy this week so I will have to hand her over to the next sisters that come in.

Sister Meyers tracted into a lady named Tanka. She said she wanted us to come back and we did! We met her husband, Kircho and found out that they had 2 little kids. We taught some principals out of the 1st lesson and introduced the book of mormon. They were very friendly and open to us. It was very refreshing to have people not bash us and actually listen and agree with what we were saying. Were going back tomorrow and hopefully again later on this week!! :D

The work is slow at first but it picks up, you know? You work hard and the Lord provides.

Two weeks ago, I was laying on my bed during dinner hour because I was just too tired to eat. Sister Tate laid on hers and we talked about the mission, the people, the experiences and everything in between. I began to cry because the end is coming and even though its welcoming, its scary and Bulgaria holds a very sacred place in my heart. Its very bittersweet. The people here will always be my eternal friends.

I love you all and I will see you soon. You are in my prayers and you are in my heart.

-Sister Kinkead

No comments:

Post a Comment