Monday, September 12, 2011

Email: September 12th

Hey hey hey..

The Bulgaria, Sofia Mission.. "The 'MegaDeath' rollercoaster". Ahhh it never stops and it never has mercy on you at all. Whipped around, lashed about, all the while your head keeps jerking and hitting your hard plastic seat. It hurts. The BSM aint no joke, kids. Its tough. This past week Ive done a lot of growing up and realizing past problems/flaws that I have that I have always put on the back burner. Well, the mission makes sure you cant put anything on the back burner, thats for sure. It brings everything up out of the ground, plant and all. Loss and I are thee best of friends. Note that after this transfer we will have been together for 22 weeks. Thats a lot of time. Mmk? Especially when you have to live with this person and work with this person 24/7. You eat sleep and breathe with this person. Well...Loss and I have been hitting some pretty rocky roads lately. We get short, lash out or snap at each other. We're on edge to say the least. Its not because we hate each other, its just other things that we are dealing with as missionaries and we get anxious and antsy. Loss has made me realize some things that I do that are big No-Nos in the communication world. I would go into detail but I think I'll save it all for when Im home and I can share those things with people who understand me more. Dont worry, Ive got it all logged in my real journal. I think its important to write lessons you have learned down so that you can remember them and apply them to your life and not just forget about them. Eh?

Lately the people have been flocking to Loss and I. Its crazy. We've done some streetboarding lately and instead of standing up and getting in their face about the gospel, we sit down on the park bench and pay no attention to our streetboard. We've met some really cool people that way. This one man, named Emille, came up to us with a chess board and asked us if we wanted to play. We said, sure why not? He taught us a basic rule of chess and how to check mate someone. He gave us the history and the object of the game. He told us that Chess was his "Plan" of life. I took that analogy and ran with it. We talked for a bit about the gospel and the real plan that our Heavenly Father has for us. He was a really cool guy and had a opened heart. He asked us if he could teach us more about how to play chess. We told him that we were down as long as we could teach a spiritual message every time we met with him. He wasnt too excited about it but agreed. He told us that hes divorced, probably in his 50s somewhere and a psychiatrist at a mental health clinic near Plovdiv. He can speak english and hes one of those thinkers who only use logic but I can see hes open to us. We meet with him tonight and Im excited! Ive never known how to play chess but he makes me get excited for it lol.

I met a man and his family on the subway yesterday. They talked for us for 2 minutes and invited us out to dinner with them. We had to say no because it was sunday but we got their number and hopefully we'll meet with them too! The man asked me if I was french because he said I have a very artistic look/appearance and it looks french. I took it as a compliment lol.

At the end of yesterday evening Loss and I were in the park trying to strike up conversations with people through our surveys. 2 little old grandmas invited us to sit down and talk with them. I got to talking to one of them named, Ellie. Shes 86 and she told me how her husband had passed away and she was living alone. She told me that she loooooved music. She began to sing Frank Sinatra to me and her eyes just LIT UP. I know her connection with music because thats how I am about my own music. Ellie was definitely interesting to talk to. She told me she had no kids because she was a ballerina all her life. The Russian team found her and hired her on and she would dance in Moscow a lot as a young woman. She spoke of the operas and the music she would dance to. She blew me away. Ive heard the Russian team is the best team in the world and that everyone tries to get on that team. Who wouldve thought I wouldve met someone in a park in bulgaria who danced for them? lol. I asked if we could meet again. I want her to bring pictures of her dancing days and I want to teach her the plan. She agreed to seeing each other again. She was so cute lol.

Im really starting to love my mission. Im starting to realize how much this experience is going to mean for me, how valuable. Its hard sometimes to find desire to go out and find people but I love the opportunity I have to be here and all the wonderful people Ive met. Im grateful for the lessons Im learning even though its a real smack in the face sometimes. Im grateful for the gospel in my life and the happiness it brings. If only people could realize how much instant happiness they could have if they grabbed a hold of the gospel. I want to testify that I know that this gospel is true and I love it with all my heart. Were not perfect people but thats ok, our Heavenly Father still loves us so much and all he wants us the best for us and for us to be happy in this life.

I love you all so much. Thank you for your prayers, emails, your love and your support. Have a good week.

-Sister Kinkead

P.S. - If youre not LDS and you want to know more... www.lds.org. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment