Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Email: March 8th

Hello from Bulgaria!

This week was long but it went by so fast at the same time, which Im glad for because this week was BLAH.

Sister Killian and I tracted into a CRAZY family. A crazy mother, a stable daughter with 2 little ones and a random man who is the family's "friend". We tracted into them and they let us in because they had known past missionaries who were really cool. We went into their house which had an OVERBEARING smell of smoke. They sat us down in their kitchen/smoke room. Ugh. All the windows and doors were closed. We sat and talked for a bit while the mother, her daughter and random male friend made 5 homemade cigs for themselves and smoked them. Thats like...15 cigs being smoked within an hour right infront of Killian and I. I got to the point where I could barely breathe. I began to cough. I wanted to gasp for breath but...I would be inhaling a ton more smoke so I tried my best to breathe as best I could lol. The little boys they had were the cutest little boys. One of them, Sander, really took to me. He held out his arms, wanting a hug and then climbed up on my lap and stayed there. At times he would play with my hair and smile at me. He was SOOOOOO cute. I couldve taken him home with me. I got a picture with him. Ill have to send it sometime. Precious little boy. Right before we left the apartment, the random male gave Killian a kiss on the neck :| :| ;|. Uhhh....lol. Im just glad he wasnt near me lol. We went back the next day to try and give them a Book of Mormon but they werent having it. They just wanted to talk more. They offered us some herbal tea. I said no even though Im sure they didnt like that answer but you cant blame me ok? They would tap their cig buts into the sink and then throw their cigs INTO the sink, take out mugs FROM the sink, rinse them off and serve us tea FROM THEM :| Killian sipped her tea from the nasty mugs. I sat there thinking how grateful I was for saying no. Lol.... We dropped the family though. They arent progressing at all and the mother would drill us with overbearing questions and then get up in our faces and say, "How come its that way?! huh?! Why?!" She says that the church changes all the time and hasnt been the same. Killian and I think shes nuts but uh...ya...lol..

Moving right along...I discovered that Strawberry Milkshakes EXIST in Bulgaria! Killian and I went to Mcdonalds the other night and asked them if they had them and THEY DID! I got one and it satisfied every thing I needed in life at that moment...ahh..strawberry milkshakes. Nothing is better. By the way, Mcdonalds is SO good here in Bulgaria. Its legit. I love it. GOOD food. Believe it or not.

We went streetboarding this week and got bashed 3 times. I just smiled. Some guy got up in our faces, pointed his finger at us and told us that we were stupid. Lol. I love it. However! We did meet 3 muslim guys who were really nice to us. I have to say something about muslims - they are THEE nicest people here in Bulgaria. Muslims will talk to yuo even if they dont believe in the church. They respect what youre doing and they are SO hospitable. I love them. I think muslims are the ONLY nice people Ive met here lol. When I go home, I will definitely be sticking up for muslims. Of course Americans have their own views on them for many reasons BUT seriously. come to Bulgaria and meet some legit muslims ok? They are a worlds different from the ones we imagine. TRUE STORY. My love goes out to the muslims.

Ok so anyways, one of the muslim guys we met invited us to meet him at a cafe and talk. We hesitantly said ok and met up with him the following day at this place on the Glav. It was like an awkward date all over again. He knew know english and Killian and I can barely speak bulgarian sooooo...we sipped our herbal tea in awkwardness lol. We invited him to church and HE CAME. I was very surprised. Everyone we invite to church never comes. Killian and I are thinking that this guy wants a green card. I mean, hes a nice guy but he doesnt really want to talk about the church even though he came to sacrament. He asked me if I liked muslims or christians better. Uuuuuh......yaaaaa. He left right after sacrament before we could even say anything...We'll see what happens. Lol.

I got really sick this past week which really threw me off my schedule. Ugh. Achy bones and a headache. It was horrible. I got a blessing from Myrick and now Im all better. Yay!

George, a 70 yr old from my english class gave me a Martinizi bracelet! Martinizi is this holiday here and you wear red and white bracelets until you see a bloom on a tree and then you put your bracelet on the tree. Im keeping all of mine lol. Anyways, George and I are TIGHT. He is so awesome. He came up to me after english and said to me, "Briana....Briana is on my mind all the time..." Lol. Oh george. I got a picture with him and my english class. I love them all to death! Theyre awesome people.

Killian and I continue to read from the dictionary to our blind bulgarian teacher. 90% of the english words I dont even know how to pronounce or know how to define...lol....its interesting lol.

Well all, the work goes on here in Plovdiv! Have a good week. I love and miss you all! Ciao!

-Sister Kinkead

No comments:

Post a Comment